Growing up as a military brat, I always had this sense that once I left a place, I would never be back. While looking for a house in the Baltimore area before sixth grade, my family briefly stayed at a hotel, the Hunt Valley Inn. Therefor, it’s always a bit bizarre to be back there as an adult in a completely different context, such as for a convention.
That background aside, I had an amazing weekend at my second Farpoint. Continue reading
I’m thrilled to return to Farpoint 26 next weekend for my second year! I had a blast last year and made some excellent friends. I’m looking forward to reconnecting with them and other local fans. Here’s where you can find me on the official schedule:
- 10 PM: Farpoint Book Fair
- 10 AM: Alternate History: Creating Stories By Changing the Past (presentation)
- Come learn about the alternate history genre and then create a few alternate histories of your own in this interactive presentation!
- 12 PM: Autograph Session
- 3 PM: Reading
- With Steven H. Wilson and Michael Critzer
- 12 PM: Reading
- 1 PM: Autograph Session
- 3 PM: I Have Written a Book: Now What (panel)
- With Keith R.A. DeCandido, Don Sakers, and Gregory A. Wilson
As usual, I’m more than happy to hang out with people anytime I’m not officially scheduled, whether for food, a drink, or just a chat. The best way to reach me during the convention is a direct message via Facebook or Twitter.
Until then, I’ll be over here freaking out that I’m sharing an autograph session with my favorite Star Trek writer…
Wow, the year is flying by. So are the deadlines! Just kidding — I’m actually on pretty good track with all of my current projects. But things are only going to pick up again before they slow down.
On top of everything else, my husband and I joined one of those meal delivery services in an attempt to eat healthier and learn new skills. Since my social media has already been inflicted with a bunch of food pictures, it’s only fair to spread the love here.
- I completed my review and revisions to book 5, Steel Shadows! It took longer than I expected, until the day I tied myself to my kitchen island with a ton of tea and cranked through the last third.
- And off it went to the beta readers! I have a mix of readers in terms of how far they’ve read in the series so far, so I’m interested to read their final notes.
- I had a blast at my first Farpoint convention a few weeks ago and made some awesome new friends. You can read about my adventures and check out some cool cosplay in my Farpoint con report.
- My presentation at the Uniontown Library Series is coming up quick! Luckily, I found out the presentation part is significantly shorter than I thought it was. That means I’ve done literally nothing to prepare yet. (I’m too busy building LEGOs right now, honestly.)
With cosplayers Jessica Crouse and Jay Justice at Farpoint 2018
February Book Reviews
February Speculative Chic Contributions
- Finish my current LEGO set! I’m finally working on my biggest set to date, the SHIELD Helicarrier from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- The Steel Empires work never ends. Now that book 5 is out of my hands for a few months, it’s time to do another round of proofing on book 4 and get it back to my editor.
- I need to put together my presentation on alternate history for the upcoming Uniontown Library Author Series.
- But before that, I’ll be heading to Ohio for one of my favorite annual conventions, Cleveland ConCoction!
- And finally, I have some beta reading of my own to do! Two projects due within the next month or so, but authors whose work I always enjoy. Definitely more of a pleasure than a chore.
Wow, that was a lot of movies in February. I think I’ve got even more lined up in March, considering I already saw Red Sparrow last night (review to come over at Speculative Chic this Tuesday).
2018 is shaping up to be a hell of a year! I’ve got my convention schedule pretty firmed up (note to self: Update events page at some point). To top everything off, the husband and I scheduled a Caribbean cruise this December. Definitely something to look forward to!
Last weekend, I attended my first Farpoint convention! You could say that I got my start in speculative fiction as a Star Trek fan, so it was nice to get back to my roots, as it were.
Since this is a “local” convention for me, I commuted from home rather than staying at the hotel. After working half a day in the morning, I headed north of Baltimore by mid-afternoon to get the lay of the land. My first panel was at 4 PM, which involved a fantastic discussion with other authors and readers about creating immersive worlds in speculative fiction (and writing in general). We discussed how to incorporate just enough detail (but not too much detail!) to allow a reader to suspend their disbelief and go along for the ride in any genre.
My second panel was immediately after, where I switched gears into fan mode and discussed “All Things Winchester.” Supernatural is currently in season 13, and not everyone was caught up, so we kept it general in our discussion of how the show is successful thematically, various character issues, favorite episodes, and theories regarding the upcoming spin-off, Wayward Sisters.
I didn’t have any of my usual writing tribe at this convention, so I steeled myself and asked if I could join one of my fellow Supernatural panelists, cosplayer Jessica Crouse, if I could join her group for dinner. I’m so glad that I did, because I made some amazing new friends over the course of the weekend through that one act of courage! We had a great dinner and evening of hanging out, then it was back to the hotel for the evening book fair. Continue reading
This weekend, I’m excited to make my debut appearance at Farpoint 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland!
Here’s my schedule:
- 4 PM: Creating Immersive Worlds
- 5 PM: All Things Winchester
- 10 PM: Book Fair
- 10 AM: Superhero Film Overload?
- 11 AM: Book signing
- 12 PM: Balancing Writing with Business
- 1 PM: Reading from…I’m not sure yet!
Will I see you there this weekend? If you come to my reading on Sunday, will you perhaps be one of the first hear an excerpt from book 4, Steel Time?