It’s been done before, so I’ll skip the trite comments about “OMG how is June here already??!” Instead, let’s get to the good stuff. After you admire the absolutely adorable dragonling that I bought at Balticon last weekend. Fable has been tasked with protecting my TARDIS die, and if you think he’s amazing, check out Emizart for your own!
Okay, enough squeeing (is there such a thing?). Let’s get to work.
- I had a lovely first visit to Cupboard Maker Books in Enola, Pennsylvania, for their Women Writing Mysterious Worlds booksigning event. I was joined by mystery writers Nancy A. Hughes and Yvonne Schuchart, who you should definitely check out!
- I closed out the month with my return to Balticon, where I participated on multiple panels and gave my alternate history presentation again! Check out my con report for all the details.
- I’m a bit behind on doing some research for the as-yet untitled book 6 of the Steel Empires series, but I did order the books I needed! They’re sitting behind me on my to-be read shelf…watching me…staring at me….
- I did, however, get the final edits for Steel Time (book 4) back to my editor! I’ve also seen the cover, and it’s GORGEOUS. Brad Sharp is my hero.
- I’ve also gotten a start on the revisions that Steel Shadows (book 5) desperately needs. My beta readers are amazing. You can’t have them. They’re mine.
- Beta read and critiques of my own were completed this month! I’m so lucky to have such talented writers I can look up to that I can also call friends.
- And finally, I’m set to begin copy-editing a book I’ve been dying to read for literally years! I worked out a contract and got the text, so that’ll be my top goal for June.
May Book Reviews
- Lord & Master (The Billionaires #3) by Emma Holly (4 stars)
- Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles #2) by Frank Herbert (4 stars)
- Dawn in Damnation by Clark Casey (3 stars)
- Syncopation (Twisted Wishes #1) by Anna Zabo (5 stars)
- Origin (Robert Langdon #5) by Dan Brown (4 stars)
- Invincible (Volumes 1-3) by Robert Kirkman & Ryan Ottley (4-5 stars)
- An Argumentation of Historians (Chronicles of St. Mary’s #9) by Jodi Taylor (4 stars)
- Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Impostors #1) by Cat Sebastian (5 stars)
May Speculative Chic Contributions
- Sound Off! Avengers: Infinity War
- Sound Off! Deadpool 2
- Sound Off! Fahrenheit 451
- Like You Thought I’d Stop at Just One: Reviewing A Wind in the Door
- Sound Off! Solo: A Star Wars Story
- The top priority this month is my big editing job. I can’t wait to get to work on it!
- Next, I’ll be tackling the major revisions my beta readers have identified for Steel Shadows. Everything is completely doable, and I only have a few scenes that need major rewrites, so I’m looking forward to returning to that story.
- I’m also looking forward to doing some major brainstorming for book 6! The research books that are staring at me will get cracked open. I might have a working outline for book 6 by the end of the month, but I’m not going to kill myself to get there.
- Because I also have a trip to look forward to! The annual pilgrimage to
HogwartsSeton Hill University takes place later this month, where I’ll be participating in the In Your Write Mind writers retreat.
- In between all that, I’ve had the pleasure of receiving two advance reader copies of novels I’m looking forward to reading and reviewing.
Time to make some coffee, snuggle some kitties, and get to work!