Happy new year from all of us at Casa Siamese! Though you won’t see this post until it goes live on Wednesday morning, I’m writing it late Monday afternoon with a tummy full of amazing New Year’s Day brunch and a hot mug of tea. I’m excited to start 2018 with a bang, and by bang I mean working on some blog posts and then curling up on the couch with a book.
- I decided not to kill myself finishing Steel Shadows in the midst of all the other holiday craziness, but I came pretty dang close. The book is currently at a touch over 83,000 words, and I have the two short concluding scenes to finish up. If you follow me on social media (and you should, obviously), expect posts of extreme joy within the next few days.
- I had a blast beta-reading the next novel in what has become one of my favorite series. I never expected to enjoy paranormal thrillers as much as I now do, but then again, I never expected to read as much romance as is currently mixed in with my science fiction and fantasy. I’m not quite sure when this novel will be published, but I’ll definitely have an excellent review to post on release day.
December Book Reviews
- Artemis by Andy Weir (5 stars)
- A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters #12) by Mercedes Lackey (4 stars)
- Valhalla (Stargate SG-1 #14) by Tim Waggoner (3 stars)
- Closer to the Chest (Herald Spy #3) by Mercedes Lackey (4.5 stars)
- Pathways (Tales of Valdemar #11) edited by Mercedes Lackey (3 stars)
- Bizarre Tales from World War II by William B. Breuer (3 stars)
- Shattered Empire (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens) by Greg Rucka (4 stars)
- Moving Target (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens) by Cecil Castellucci & Jason Fry (4 stars)
- Outside the Lines (Bluewater Bay #22) by Anna Zabo (5 stars)
According to Goodreads, I read well beyond my goal of 50 books for 2017, though some of those listed on my account were short stories or books that I abandoned for whatever reason. The list above doesn’t even include everything I read in December this year, because I’ve already queued up book reviews and other blog posts through mid-January!
December Speculative Chic Contributions
- Sound Off! Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- How’d We Do? Resolution Project Wrap-Up 2017
- Sound Off! Bright
- Biggest Disappointments of 2017
- Future Favorites: Our Most Anticipated Releases of 2018
- Okay, seriously, this time I’ll finish the first draft of Steel Shadows.
- Since I can’t immediately launch into the first round of revisions without giving the entire book time to percolate, it’s a good thing I have edits for book 4, Steel Time, that also need to get done this month!
- Once Steel Time goes back to the editor, it’ll be nice to sit down and look at Steel Shadows from the beginning. Since I wrote that beginning 6 months ago, I definitely need the refresher before I start tweaking things. It will then go to the beta-readers either in late January or early February.
- Speaking of beta-reading, I have another book by a friend to review! I haven’t read his work before, but I’ve only heard good things, so I’m excited to experience a new writer.
I hope you are all looking forward to whatever 2018 brings us. I have lots of events already planned throughout the year, and I’m hoping that a proper vacation is also in my future. Now, I have more blog posts to write and a box of macarons I got for my birthday to eat.
Though I didn’t ask for any this year, for either Christmas or my birthday, my family knows me too well! The new additions to the TARDIS collection are:
- Retro pencil holder from my mother-in-law
- Stained glass wall-hanging from my mother
- Jewelry box from my sister- and brother-in-law
Two separate people also gave me bottles of port this year. Good thing I have book 6 to write in 2018, because I’ve got the writer-juice to do it!