Ack, I’ve been productive again! Met all my goals for August and everything.
- I completed another 15k words in Steel Shadows, bringing me to 30k done! That’s definitely over one-third of the book, and while I often have trouble slogging through the middle, this story has been a hell of a roller coaster so far. I’m excited, and I hope that shows through my writing.
- Confluence in Pittsburgh earlier this month was a blast, and you can read my con report here.
- When I got home from Pittsburgh, my husband headed off to Europe for a few weeks for work, so I had to entertain myself somehow. Luckily, I had a brand new LEGO set to build, and you can check out my build report for the Saturn V rocket here.
- And finally, the contest I hosted for Steel Blood’s one-month birthday was a ton of fun! Entrants guessed the total number of my TARDIS collection for a chance to win free books from the Steel Empires series. I’m already brainstorming fun ideas for another contest later this year.
August Book Reviews
- Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural #4) by Keith R.A. DeCandido (4.5 stars)
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (unrated)
- Shattering the Ley (Erenthrall #1) by Joshua Palmatier (4 stars)
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman (4 stars)
August Speculative Chic Contributions
- Roundtable: Cancellations That Killed Us
- A Little Less Than Strange: Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Nr Norrell
- Another 15k words of Steel Shadows, bringing me to 45k completed.
- Attend Salt Lake Comic Con! I still don’t have my schedule, but my husband and I planned this as our 5-year wedding anniversary present to ourselves, so being on programming was just a bonus. We’re excited to see some friends, visit a new city, get books signed by cool authors, and get our photo taken with John Barrowman. Okay, I’m getting my photo taken with John Barrowman. The plan is to politely ask for a hug from my favorite immortal and try not to burst into tears.