Ack, where did February go? I guess this is what happens when I try to reduce my workload but still end up ridiculously busy. The good news is that I got a lot of stuff done. The bad news is that I still didn’t manage to complete all my goals. Oh well, March is another month.
- I submitted a short story to an anthology I was invited to participate in! This does not confirm acceptance, but it was fun to play with some secondary characters in my world and *gasp* write in first person. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
- I got about one-third through the editing necessary on Steel Shadows. That’s definitely going to be my priority for March!
- I had a blast at Farpoint 2019! You can read all about it at my full con report.
- My much-needed writer’s retreat to Broadkill Resort was a ton of fun. Everyone got lots of work done, and we thoroughly enjoyed the game Bards Dispense Profanity.
- Finally, I had a great few days in New York City for the day job, and even got to meet my little sister’s significant other! We met at a cool bar called Oscar Wilde, and I got to pose with the
February Book Reviews
- Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin #2) by Jordan L. Hawk (5 stars)
- Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin #3) by Jordan L. Hawk (5 stars)
- “Remnant” (Caldwell & Feximal short story/Whyborne & Griffin #3.5) by K.J. Charles & Jordan L. Hawk (4 stars)
- Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse #1) by James S.A. Corey (5 stars)
- Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy #3.5) by Ilona Andrews (5 stars)
- Caliban’s War (The Expanse #2) by James S.A. Corey (5 stars)
- Belle by Night (Dommes by Night #1) by Rachell Nichole (4 stars)
February Speculative Chic Contributions
- Let’s try this again: Complete a full editorial pass of Steel Shadows and return it to my editor for layout. (Seriously, this time.)
- Write 20k words for Steel Justice. This might get me within spitting distance of the ending.
- Attend Cleveland ConCoction 2019! (I will literally be driving there when this blog entry gets posted.)
- Attend another weekend writing retreat! This one is with a lovely group of romance writers who have accepted this speculative fiction writer as one of their own (even if they do keep trying to get me to write erotica).
- Finally, I’ll be in Providence, Rhode Island at the end of the month for a conference for the day job.
I did do one crazy thing this month. Got my hair professionally dyed! This color scheme has been on my mind for ages, and I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out.
Will I accomplish all of my goals this month? Will I do anything else ridiculous with my hair? Will I get a tattoo?
WHO KNOWS. This winter has made me a little stir crazy, and I’m anxious for spring.