I didn’t travel anywhere this month, but I still managed to have plenty of adventures! The highlights of the month were definitely the cover reveal for my next book, Steel Time, and buying the very first new car for either of us with my husband, a Tesla Model 3! Other fun things included some home improvement (installing a storage room under the stairs in our house), an epic ropes course through the treetops with my best friend at Adventure Park, and escaping a Nicola Tesla-themed escape room with my husband and friends with 45 seconds to spare.
Oh, and I got some work and reading done, too.
- Book 5, Steel Shadows, has been submitted to my editor! WOOT!
- To celebrate, I will be building the Star Wars Y-Wing Starfighter LEGO set this weekend while I binge the most recent Marvel movies to prepare for a panel I’m on at a convention next month.
- Prepping for the launch of Steel Time put my book 6 plans on hold, but I’m looking forward to buckling down on an outline in the next few days (technically, I’m writing this post on Wednesday, even though it’s going up on the blog on Friday).
August Book Reviews
- Doctor Who: Time Lord Fairy Tales by Justin Richards & David Wardle (4 stars)
- Escaping Exile (Escape #1) by Sara Dobie Bauer (5 stars)
- Red and Black by Nancy O’Toole Meservier (4 stars)
- Perfect Day by Sally Malcolm (5 stars)
- Invincible (Volumes 13-15) by Robert Kirkman & Ryan Ottley (4-5 stars)
- In a Suspect Universe by Albert Wendland (5 stars)
- Rights of Use (Black Book Project #1) by Shannon Eichorn (4.5 stars)
August Speculative Chic Contributions
- Well, to start, build a LEGO set while I watch Thor Ragnorok, Black Panther, and Avengers Infinity War to prep for that panel. I have such a hard life.
- Create a detailed scene-by-scene outline of the as-yet-untitled book 6 and write 5 to 10 thousand words of the first draft.
- Prep for a short and sweet blog tour to promote Steel Time. It comes out on September 6! Have you pre-ordered your copy yet?
- Attend FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention 2018! I can’t wait to return to this awesome convention and meet up with friends. This is the convention my husband attends with me (happy 6th anniversary to us!). I’ll be giving my presentation on the alternate history genre, participating in a few cool panels (including one on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, hence the film rewatch), and getting my picture taken with David Tennant!
- Later in the month, I’ll also be participating in a more local convention, Capclave 2018 outside of Washington DC. Plans are afoot for a Steel Time launch party, and I’ll be sure to share the info here.
So much to do, so little time! I could use my very own time machine right about now.