Another summer month has flown by. I’m going to be honest — my production on the creative side has been crap. Even the unbuilt LEGO sets calling my name from my guest room haven’t been motivation enough to get work done. I’m not going to stop working on the Steel Empires series. But after 4 years of cranking out a book a year, I think I’m going to…not take it easy on the next one, but write with more intention. That’s going to mean fewer words a month, and more months to write the book. But my physical health also needs to starting taking a higher priority as I get older, and I’d rather build good habits now.
So my monthly goals are going to look less challenging, but the hope is that those of you reading at the other end won’t actually notice a drop in production. This may or may not make sense. I’m only on my first cup of coffee for the day.
- Revisions to Steel Shadows are not complete, and have not been sent to my editor.
- The book 6 outline has not been completed, though there’s lots of fun ideas rattling around in my brain.
- I did attend Confluence in Pittsburgh last weekend! Being around other authors is always a great shot of creative juice. Check out my full con report.
- I came up with some great ideas for how to launch Steel Time in September. Now I just have to implement them.
See, I told you this month was a wash. I did get lots of reading done, however, which I will never regret.
July Book Reviews
- Writing Mysteries edited by Sue Grafton (3 stars)
- Invincible (Volumes 7-9) by Robert Kirkman & Ryan Ottley (4 stars)
- Mastering Suspense, Structure & Plot by Jane K. Cleland (4 stars)
- Urban Dragon (Volume 1) by J.W. Troemner (5 stars)
- “The Steam Pump Jump” (Chronicles of St. Mary’s short story) by Jodi Taylor (5 stars)
- A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks #2) by Cat Sebastian (4 stars)
- Invincible (Volumes 10-12) by Robert Kirkman & Ryan Ottley (4-5 stars)
- Born to Love Wild edited by Cara McKinnon (4 stars)
July Speculative Chic Contributions
- Seriously: Steel Shadows revisions to my editor.
- So that I can build a LEGO set!
- And also complete a first draft of the outline to book 6 and send it out for review.
That should be do-able, right? I’m not traveling this month, though I do have a bunch of things planned on the weekends. But today is Friday, so tonight I’m going to put on some music and bury myself in Steel Shadows. Wish me luck!