In honor of the film adaptation’s release, I figured I should post my review of THE MARTIAN today!
Things that NASA did not announce today:
- The discovery of sentient alien life.
- The development of a working faster-than-light engine.
- That we’ve been using a Stargate in Colorado Springs to explore the universe since the mid-1990s.
My husband and I took a short trip up to New York City this past weekend. We met two guys from Israel on a cruise last year, and the amazing power of social media allowed us to keep in touch! When both of them were back on our side of the globe, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit them.
Other places you can find me on the wide expanse of the Interwebs, beyond the typical social media!
I have an Amazon Author Page here.
And I have a GoodReads author page here. I am working on becoming an official GoodReads Author, and have plans for lots of cool stuff when I do!
Please consider following me at both Web sites.
(This short post is brought to you by Netflix and kitten snuggles.)
The final book in Samantha Holloway‘s epic fantasy trilogy is coming out soon, and to celebrate, I’ve asked her here to pick her brain about the specifics of writing books in series format rather than one by one.
- Goal: Write 10,000 words of book 3, STEEL BLOOD. Progress: A little over 5,500 words. Part of that was because I didn’t even start writing until August 18, and the other part was crippling uncertainty as to the way I was starting the novel, which is one of the hardest parts of any book. But after two great sessions with my critique partners, I think I’ve got my mojo back and I’m ready to press on!
- Goal: Finally finish the complete draft of the first STEEL EMPIRES universe prequel story. Progress: Done! I’m really pleased with this story and my critique partners seem to like it. It’s currently with another beta reader for a final coherence check.
- Reach 20,000 words in the first draft of STEEL BLOOD.
- Finish my massive re-read of Carrie Vaughn’s entire Kitty the Werewolf series before reading the final book (I just started book 7 tonight).
- Become much, much better at remembering to write my weekly book reviews. (This will probably involve picking a different day of the week, because Thursdays are just not working out lately.)
- Fix anything the beta reader finds wrong with the prequel story and send it off to my copyeditor and cover artist.
- STEEL VICTORY book promotion! I’ve started slacking on that due to my current love/hate relationship with book 3, but I’ve got a list of great ideas that I need to start working on.
Thanks for hanging in there with me! Here’s a picture of cat:
Last Thursday, August 20, the Morgantown Poets Society hosted authors from Raw Dog Screaming Press at the Monongalia Arts Center in Morgantown, West Virginia. STEEL VICTORY and I were joined by bizarro poet B.E. Burkhead, with his new poetry collection THE UNDERSIDE OF THE RAINBOW. My friend Julia was kind enough to take some pictures, which I’ve shared here.
Had a whirlwind of a weekend, so your regularly scheduled blog post is a day late. Oops! So here’s a bunch of news to make up for it.
This Thursday I will be featured by the Morgantown Poets! I and fellow Raw Dog Screaming Press author B.E. Burkhead (author of THE UNDERSIDE OF THE RAINBOW) will be doing readings and a joint Q&A at 7 PM at the Monongalia Arts Center in Morgantown, West Virginia. We will have books on hand to sign and sell. Hope to see you there!
Progress on book 3, STEEL BLOOD, is continuing, albeit slowly. More importantly, though, the book now has its theme song! Check out the video for “2 Heads” by Coleman Hell and let me know what you think.
Finally, one of my favorite book series is coming to an end. KITTY SAVES THE WORLD came out last week by author Carrie Vaughn. I started reading it immediately, and then realized that this was the book that is going to tie everything together. Which means, of course, that characters and events from the previous 13 books are going to be mentioned. So now I’m re-reading the entire series, and loving every bit of it. If you’d like to keep track of my progress, I keep a running announcement of each new book I start over on Twitter (@hannaedits). In honor of Kitty the Werewolf, I’m posing each book in the series next to one of my cats for each tweet.
As I think I’ve mentioned in a previous book review, I’m a bit of hipster when it comes to popular books. REDSHIRTS, by John Scalzi, was another book that I’d heard great things about, but since everyone was reading it already, I put it off in favor of other books on my epic to-be-read pile. But while I was on vacation last spring, I panicked that I didn’t have enough books on my Kindle and bought REDSHIRTS on a whim right before I left.
I’m such a bum. Forgot to do a book review last Thursday and I’ve got no mental energy for a blog post today. The good news is that is because I’ve been living and breathing the start of book 3. The better news is this means you get a deleted scene from STEEL VICTORY!